Thursday, July 23, 2015

I'm a Paper Whore, Specifically, a Postcard Whore

The title says it all. I collect paper and postcards like a nymphomaniac collects notches on her bedpost. I just can't help myself. I have a problem. Just like a whore who sleeps with every Tom, Dick, and Harry to fulfill some void in her soul, I need postcards, notecards and paper to fulfill something missing inside of me. If it wasn't paper, it would be something else. I know this because I have an addictive personality. I was addicted to cigarettes before I was finally able to quit ten years ago. Once I quit, I substituted smoking with eating. Yep, I turned to sweets. I'm just barely weaning myself away from that but not quite. I could go on and on with things that I need, but overall, I guess it's a positive thing that I'm addicted to buying paper, (unless it really turns into hoarding) because there are certainly a lot worse things I could be addicted to. You get my jist, I'm sure. 

Take a look at my stash. I'm sure it will make you feel much better about your own. 


All of the boxes in the above photo contains vintage postcards. I have them organized according to years, and whether or not they have been used/written and stamped.


These are the postcards in the big box that weigh about 35 pounds. All of these postcards are vintage but are unused. They range from early 1900's all the way to the late 90's or early 2000's.


This box contains all used/written/stamped cards from 1980's to 2000's.


The variety is quite extensive in this box.


1900's to 1940's. All used and written or stamped. This box contains a lot of my favorites, not neccesarily because of the images, but rather what is written on the back. Some of them are funny.


Just love all the colorful cards from the olden days.


1950's, 1960's and 1970's. All used, written or stamped.


When I first began collecting postcards, I was drawn to the early 1900's, but the more I collect, the more I am beginning to love the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Lately, I feel really drawn to old motel cards and roadside attractions. I love them all.


I started this box of postcards to put all the ugliest cards in and then I bought another couple of hundred mixed lot to add to my collection, and I didn't want to take the time to organize them so I just put them in the box with the ugly postcards. Some of these are used and some are unused.

Are you starting to see why I call myself a postcard whore?


This box contains all foreign postcards. I believe they are all unused but there may be some used ones that slipped in by accident.


This is where I store the vintage postcards that I am keeping for myself at the moment. Of course, the cards inside could be on rotation because what might be my favorite today, may not be my favorite tomorrow.  I'll show you a few samples of what's inside.


Don't you just love how colorful they are?


These little black and white dog postcards are one of my all time favorite series of cards. I think these cuties got their own blog post awhile back.


This drawer is full of notecards. This is only half of my stash.


This drawer contains only Christmas cards and Christmas related stuff like invitations, etc.
I love, love, love buying Christmas cards. I love sending Christmas cards every year to friends, family, acquaintances, pen pals, and for swaps. In fact, the only way I get Christmas cards back is to join a swap on swap-bot. So sad, don't you think?


This is my postcard stock that I have specifically for Postcrossing. These are all new cards that I get when I travel and/or that I buy from amazon.com. I like being prepared.



Of course, I need decorative paper for my computer. These are for the days when my arthritis is bad or I'm just lazy and would rather type than handwrite my letters.


I almost forgot the drawer that has stationery and writing sets/envelopes.

I still have hundreds of postcards that I didn't show you. These are the ones I get from Postcrossing and from pen pals, family and friends. I have them in a special place. When they first arrive in my mailbox I pin them to my bulletin board and they get displayed until new arrials take their place. I do not ever throw away pen pal letters or postcards but they are special to me. I cherish every word that everyone writes to me, including complete strangers.

So, do you feel better now. I bet your stash doesn't seem so huge now that you've seen mine.

What?

Did I hear you say, "I'm a paper whore"?


I totally agree.

Smile.

What are your favorite types of postcards?

If you'd like me to send you a random card from my collection, leave a comment specifying if you prefer it already written on, unwritten, or if you want me to write something on an unused card. You can send me a private message with your address after you leave a comment. 

Have an amazing night! 

















4 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

Oh JarieLyn you have made my day, my week, my month.... That is the best blog post I have seen for so long. At last I can look at all my stationery and postcards and think there is someone whose collection is bigger and more diverse and (the biggest household complaint) takes up more space than mine.

Fundy Blue said...

LOL, JarieLyn! Your post did make me feel a little better; but I bet my photo collection can match your postcard collection! It's good to know there is at least one other person in the world like me! A few days ago I was in Great Falls, Montana, and I visited the Charles Russell Museum. I knew he painted marvelous watercolors, but I had no idea that he wrote many letters filled with quick sketches and watercolors. It was fascinating to see these items. I bet you would enjoy seeing that museum! Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I read this post last night and I'm still shaking my head. You've earned the paper person of the year crown. If there is such a thing. It should come with a scepter and a sash. No one I know can touch you, girl.

Still smh. :D

VioletSky said...

WoW!
Love seeing how others organize their stash of cards, and I must say you are very organized!!
I also have a seriously overloaded amount of cards (used and unused) that could easily match yours, but mine are sorted all over the place. I have been collecting old photo albums to put my vintage cards in and possibly have enough for 2,000 - 3,000. My biggest issue with the Postcrossing cards are the sizes.

Old motels and motel signs, and roadside attractions are also a favourite, would love from your collection...